You are here:   Blogs
  |  Login


 The simple answer is, we haven't been able to find an implementation for GeoLocate for any cellular data modems. There have been some hints that someone somewhere has made an attempt, but we can't find any real offerings. And not all of teh browsers expose an API if one would want to implement the interface.

Our need was to access GPS data form a local WAN attached MP890 modem and update the user's position on a map as they moved. We wanted to avoid sending the user's GPS data to the server to minimize network traffic. And this had to work on all browsers!

The solution was to use jsonp. We developed a JavaScript application that accesses the data and updates the map. Problem solved.

Though there is a footnote. jsonp can create significant memory usage. We ended up spending almost as much time dealing with (and solving) the memory leak as we did building the modem interfaces.

The Geoserver map server supports the generation of map layers using data extracted from SQL databases. This seemed an ideal mechanism to use to capture and share status information among several independent agencies and the utility companies that service their communities.

 We tested this capability using mock weather related data (trees down, roads closed, etc.). The Geoserver was able to build a feature layer of Events which we overlaid on a street map. As the map view was zoomed in and out the feature layer queried the SQL database displaying the features with the latest data entered by other users simultaneously using the same application.


Read More »


Warning There are no recent comments on this blog.